- To know he safety rules and regulations inside the physics laboratory
- To familiarize on the different laboratory apparatus and instruments that will be used for the experiments in physics
Laboratory Safety Guidelines
To ensure that a safe and healthful environment is maintained when taking the physics laboratory course, everyone should read and follow the safety regulations listed below
- Never work alone in the laboratory. You should only work in the laboratory while under the supervision of your instructor and with your assigned class.
- You should prepare for each laboratory lesson by reading all instructions before you came to class. Follow all directions and review with your instructor the safety precautions needed to conduct the experiment safely before you begin. Only materials and equipment authorized by your instructor should be used.
- Everyone should be alert and proceed with caution at all times in the laboratory. Take care not to bump another student, and remain in your laboratory station while performing an experiment. Avoid playing while inside the laboratory. An unattended experiment can produce an accident.
- Your apparel should be appropriate for laboratory work. Long hanging necklaces, bulky jewelry, and excessive bulky clothing should not be worn in the laboratory. Cotton clothing is preferred over nylon, polyesters, or wool.
- Only laboratory manuals and laboratory notebooks are permitted in the working areas. Other books, purses and such items should be placed in your desk or storage area.
- Eating, drinking, and smoking are strictly prohibited inside the laboratory.
- You should know the proper fire drill procedures and the location of fire exits.
- Work areas and apparatuses should be kept clean at all times. You should always clean and wipe dries all apparatuses, desks, tabletops, and laboratory work areas at the end of each laboratory experiment.
- Hands should be washed thoroughly with soap at the end of each laboratory class.
- You should know the locations and operations of all safety control equipment.
- Everyone should recognize and heed all safety symbols and cautions incorporated into the procedure of the laboratory experiments.
- Report immediately to the instructor any accident or incident that needs immediate action or attention.